This wikiHow teaches you how to change your computer, phone, or tablet’s default web browser to one you’d prefer to use. You can change the default web browser on any operating system, including on your iPhone or iPad. You’ll need to install your new web browser, such as Firefox or Chrome, before you’ll see it as a default browser option in your settings.
- Open your Windows Settings. You can do this by pressing Windows key + i on the keyboard, or by clicking the gear icon inside of your Windows Start menu.
- Click . It’s the icon that looks like a bulleted list.
- Click . It’s in the left panel.
- Click your current web browser. This opens the Choose an App window, which displays a list of some programs installed on your PC. You should see the new web browser you’ve installed in this list.
- If you haven’t installed the new browser yet, visit the browser’s homepage and download the installer.
- Click the web browser you want to set as your default. Once you click a different option, your default web browser preferences will be updated. Your new web browser is now set to open all browser-related extensions, links, and shortcuts.
- Open your System Preferences. To do this, click the Apple menu at the upper-left corner of the screen, and then click System Preferences on the menu.
- If you haven’t already installed the web browser you’d prefer to use on your Mac, you should do so before you continue.
- Click . This loads a list of general system options.
- Select a web browser from the “Default web browser” menu. Once you choose a web browser, it will be set to open all web links, shortcuts, and browser-related extensions on your Mac.
- Open your Android’s Settings. You can do this by tapping the gear icon in your app list, or by swiping down from the top of the home screen and tapping the gear at the upper-right corner.
- If you haven’t already installed the browser you want to use, install one from the Play Store before you continue.
- Open the or option. The name of this menu option varies depending on your version of Android, but it will always have the word “Apps” or “Applications” in it.
- Tap or . If you don’t see this option, you may need to tap Advanced first.
- Tap . This displays a list of installed apps you can use as your default web browser.
- Select the browser you want to use. This sets the selected web browser as your default browser on this Android.
[Edit]iPhone or iPad
- Open your iPhone or iPad’s Settings . It’s the gear icon on your home screen or in your Utilities folder in the app library.
- Scroll down and tap the browser you want to use. As long as you’ve already installed the browser from the App Store, you will see it in your list of apps.
- Tap . A list of apps you can use as your default web browser will appear.
- Tap the app you want to use as your default browser. This sets the selected web browser as the default on this iPhone or iPad.
- Open Activities View on your desktop. You can do this by clicking the Activities button at the upper-left corner of the desktop, or by moving your mouse cursor to the top-left hot corner (if enabled).
- Type . In Activities View, you can start typing immediately to search for these words.
- Click in the search results. This opens a list of default apps on your computer.
- Click the “Web” drop-down menu. A list of available browsers will appear. You’ll need to have your new browser installed in order for it to appear in this list.
- Click the browser you want to use. This saves your new settings automatically. Whenever you click a web link, the browser you selected will load it.
- Change Your Browser’s Default Search Engine
- Change the Default Web Browser on a Mac
- Make Internet Explorer Your Default Internet Browser
- Disable Internet Explorer as the Default Browser on Windows XP Home Edition
Proactive Computing found this story and shared it with you.
The Article Was Written/Published By: